Jewelry design is the art or profession of creating, crafting, fabricating, or rendering designs for jewelry. This is an ancient practice of the goldsmith or metalworker that evolved to a billion-dollar industry with the odyssey from ancient cultures into the machine age. Jewelry design fallsunder the category of what is commonly known as "functional art," being art that can be worn or used. Before an article of jewelry is created, design concepts are rendered followed by detailed technical drawings generated by a jewelry designer, a professional who is trained in the architectural and functional knowledge of fabrication techniques, composition, wear ability and market trends. Traditional hand-drawing and drafting methods are still utilized in designing jewelry particularly at the conceptual stage, but a shift is taking place to computer-aided design programs like Rhinoceros 3D and Matrix.
MODULE: I). Manual sketching
Introduction to jewellery designing
- Scope of Designing
- Basics 2d shapes drawing
- (To develop basic drawing skill ).
- Pencil Rendering
- Types of stones cutting
- Round brilliant cut/Belgium cut.
- Pear cut.
- Baguette cut.
- Marques cut.
- Heart cut etc
- Stone setting techniques
- Prong setting
- Bezel setting
- Paves setting
- Channel setting
- Tension setting
- Micro Pave setting
- Pressure setting
- Flush setting
- Stone Rendering: Giving 3d view by proper shading with pencils.
- Concept development
- Rendering using water color
- Theme creations
- Weight estimation of Diamonds
- Portfolio creation
- Study of market trends (Domestic/International).
Module II: Precious Jewel CAD software. (40 Periods)
- Introduction to CAD & CAM technology. Computer-aided design (CAD) is the use of computer technology for the design of objects, real or virtual. CAD often involves more than just shapes. As in the manual drafting of technical and engineering drawings, the output of CAD often must convey also symbolic information such as materials, processes, dimensions, and tolerance to application-specific conventions.
- CAD is one of the many tools used by Jewellery Designers and is used to produce RPT(Rapid prototype) models for Jewellery.
- Advantage of CAD CAM Technology for Jewellery Industry
- Special features of latest Jewellery CAD software: Precious CAD.
- Designing 2D drawing in Precious CAD.
- Deforming 2D drawing, making 3D objects.
- Deforming 3D objects.
- Basic designs with common tools, Rail tools, Sweep, Skin.
- Export in different file formats.
- Designing customized order.